Tuesday, November 10, 2009

starches of our life

My lil man, all of six years old has issues with food. Yesterday I had to make a starch and being the great and understanding mom, I gave him a choice, rice or ugali. Kids like rice, it’s plain and looks interesting, well most kids except this one. He was almost throwing a fit when I mentioned it. Now I have known this for a while but I asked him yesterday why he doesn’t like rice. The reply “It’s too small and it gets stuck I my teeth”. LOL and ugali, that is a given, he doesn’t like it because it’s Kenyan…even though he eats it when I make it. He likes ugali but will never admit it and good for him because I will never stop making it.

In the spirit of this food exchange, I asked him what he likes to eat and he asked if I could make porridge, he loves porridge. You know that gooey thick mix of amaranthus, millet, oats, rye, maize…yes that one. He doesn’t yet know what’s in it but that’s good for everyone because it’s probably healthier than all those starches combined. I didn’t make porridge for dinner, but I promised to make it for breakfast.

I still lost on the dinner issue since he remembered some left over spaghetti with sausage from the day before and happily ate away. That is all I could ask for, I suppose, my six year old happily eating away. We did make porridge this morning, a good hearty bowl. Now I know why he likes it so much, he gets to put a lot of sugar in it (like I do). I guess you win some you lose some, it’s a great morning!

No comments: