Saturday, September 25, 2010

The power of motherhood….beyond the basics

Being a mother is fantastic, most days that is and I really love it. But I have realized that it has given me a certain edge that I wouldn’t otherwise have in my field. See I look younger than I really am so I’m conscious of people not taking me seriously and I try to dress mature. Now that I have a new job, I have to schmooze, be nice, come to work on time (sigh), not leave early, basically build my trustworthiness all over again. Most of my co-workers are women and majority are older than I am. I have been here for a week today and I have bonded over my son on four separate occasions. First with my supervisor who has a 10 year-old daughter, the assistant to the director let me know that I could adjust my schedule if I needed it for my son’s school and finally two of my co-workers who have boys about the same age as my son. Believe it or not this morning we bonded over the joys of having boys and they happily accepted me in their ‘club’ because I can relate. Who knew? The untold perks of motherhood.

No comments: