Thursday, May 1, 2014

In perspective



I experienced disappointment from family and friends on something I am hoping will turn out great. Sadly I have had this on the back of my mind for a couple days and today I let it out on my husband. Well he was part of the disappointment. Let’s just say there has been a bit of drama and confusion over the baby shower. I started wishing that my sister and mom were here because none of this would happen- maybe. As I was replaying this over and over in my head and working myself into a pretzel, I heard on radio that it was National day of Prayer and the first prayer offered was for victims of flooding in Romania.

What a piece of work I am, working myself up over something so minute in the big scheme of things! I just felt the Holy Spirit convict me. Me, me, me is all I was thinking. Surely, I could be grateful for the shower at church and the wonderful shower and generosity of my coworkers. Surely I could be grateful for a wonderful pregnancy. I have been blessed with everything that I need.

Truth is people even those closest to us will constantly disappoint us. They are just like me, imperfect, human. When we look to other people to fulfill a part of us, we set ourselves up for failure. Today I was reminded of that in the midst of my whining. I seriously felt like the Lord was saying, “Get a grip, and get in perspective!”

I was letting a minor disappointment unravel me and dictate the trajectory of the day. Yet the needs of many people far outweigh what mine are. I should be on my knees being grateful and praying for someone else’s situation.

Lord I ask for forgiveness for my selfishness. Instead of focusing on disappointments, help me to focus on you, and what you have appointed for me today. Thank you because in you I have everything I need and more.

Psalm 103:2-5
Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender
mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

No comments: