Thursday, May 7, 2009

service

I woke up extra early this morning. I was going to drive 4 kids to school including mine and I didn't want to be the one lagging behind. However insignificant that action is, it made me feel like I'm part of something larger. I get so consumed with my life and my son's all week and it was great to be of service to my friend when she needed it. It made me feel like my week was useful because I did something of benefit outside of myself.

Imagine how enriched my life would be if I would seek out more opportunities to serve-my friends and community in Chicago. Then I would never really have time to 'mourn' about all that is lacking in my life. Sure I would prefer to be serving at home where needs are many, with my family close by, but this is where God has put me right now. I need to get with the program.

The best way to find yourself is to loose yourself in the service of others. Mahatma Gandhi

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

No comments: