Wednesday, April 4, 2007

this madness

I had a delayed response to the death of the Kenyan woman who was strangled by her husband and I’ve been trying to write about it. I wrote the response in Dorothy’s comment section (see blogs). One of my good friends knew her well and she is struggling to understand the why and how. Why didn’t she say anything and how could he have gone to that extreme?

The poem http://www.angelfire.com/ns/hollysplace/flowers.html was real for me the first time I read it.

As a survivor of domestic abuse, no words can express how I feel. I used to be ashamed of my experience but its amazing how that shaped me as a person and the phenomenal woman I am now and I never hesitate to share my story should anyone need any support or motivation.

5 comments:

AfroFeminista said...

The poem you cite is so poignant in its tracing of the trail of DV. Sadly many women ignore the signs.

I think before he kills you he'll have intimidated you; pushed you; put you down in public; kicked; punched. . .all in a build up to killing you.

Sadly many women and men who should know better do not speak up when they know their friends, relatives and sisters are being abused. Then we take flowers to the funeral! Disgusting. We must continue to speak up, at risk of sounding nosy; irritating; pesky!

More power to you for leaving.

shiz said...

Thanks afrofeminista, if we could stop looking at it like it's something that happens to 'other people', stop hiding behind christian 'values' and be for real, then there can be some change.

Miss DeeGee said...

Shiz - I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Your experience has touched many lives and changed many. I have gotten emails from many and many point to your comment - you NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IT HAS DONE!!

Not only to them, but to me and my sister and you have done something both of us could never forget. We are shooting a documentary she and I and hopefully you will be involved in some way. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again for stopping by. Come again.

p/s and thanks for adding me to your blogroll. It is an honor.

shiz said...

Dorothy, thanks again. I'm emotional because I remember thinking that I wish someone had spoken to me about DV. Even my friends who wanted to help didn't know what to do. Sharing my story has empowered me and I hope it empowers someone else who might be needing it.

I'm blessed to connect with you at a time like this.

Princess said...

I know several individuals related to her and who are friends of hers and it is indeed tragic.