Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TV...too much?

I think I finally ditched my addiction to TV as evidenced by withdrawing from ‘24’ a.k.a the best show on TV. It’s been a whole month since I watched 24 and yesterday was the first Monday that I did not think about Jack Bauer! It’s been good while it lasted giving my heart and nervous system a weekly workout with all that adrenaline.

I dumped cable in an effort to curb my TV watching so with cable went The Shield, Nip Tuck, The entire food network (oh dear my cooking has never been the same), What not to wear ( I hope my dressing skillz haven’t suffered), all the decorating shows on TLC and of course I gave up CNN, Jon Stewart, all the commentaries on FOX , money markets, ESPN (yes I love sports), discovery channel. Then there was Law and Order and The practice and I almost knew their lines by heart. Since I’m a mom I haven’t even included all the Disney, nickelodeon and cartoon network shows. Now that I’ve put it down on paper, I sure was spending a lotta time on the couch!

But even without cable, there has been plenty to occupy my time and so I’ve phased out these non-productive programs from my schedule: Desperate housewives was the first to go, then Grey’s anatomy has been so so lately. I still love my CSI but I don’t rush home to watch it like I used to. The only show that I’m sad when I miss is Criminal minds, how can I resist Shemar Moore being an FBI agent? I just seem to be drawn to these types of shows. I even violently resisted from being addicted to Shark. Dancing with the stars and American Idol I reserve because my girlfriends and I watch it for entertainment. I won’t reveal that I have peeked at Tyra’s show as well as the next pussy cat doll…now that Lil Kim is a judge on the show…LOL again now that no one has even answered why we need another doll. For some reason I have watched The Bachelor the past two weeks, and I’m still asking myself why. The Amazing Race continues to be the best reality show, but Sunday nights just haven’t been conducive. The King of Queens and Girlfriends are my favorite comedies, I have watched all, and I mean ALL the reruns of these shows.

I still love PBS documentaries and of course every now and then I make time for Oprah. But now that I have Netflix, I can chose the shows I want to watch when I want to watch them. (Sounds like I was doing a pitch for Netflix..lol) Plus I can get movies for my lil man only if I think they are worth it and sometimes I preview them first. So tonite, I hope Sanjaya is voted off or I'm boycotting American Idol. Then after that I will read a book (ideal) but most likely I will be caught up in some cleaning act around the house, oops Oprah is on, then call it a night.

1 comment:

Princess said...

With the exception of sports the only two shows I watch regularly are "Grey's Anatomy" and "Desperate Housewives."