Friday, December 22, 2006

this christmas

I have a love hate relationship with the month of December. I look forward to Christmas celebrations and the works. The only problem is that ever since I came to the US I find it hard to get psyched up for the holiday unless I’m going home. Christmas seems to start earlier every year and by earlier I mean, before thanksgiving this year. Aii…that’s too much. By next year we will be celebrating Christmas right after Halloween and by the end of the decade, it will be Christmas everyday! It’s just annoying to be trying to shop in November and stumbling into everything Christmas. There are plenty of good sales at other times in the year, so no thank you, I will not be joining the mad rush. Then there is the issue of half of your friends are at home enjoying the sun while cloudy days are the order of the day here. I’m amazed I haven’t suffered vitamin D deficiency…was that rickets? I guess that is why people take vitamin supplements.... All in all I’m trying to change the attitude, seeing that there may possibly be many more xmases here. On Christmas day it will be friends, laughter and nyama choma, I won’t mourn the sun, I will embrace the snow...ok maybe not but I will have a merry christmas.

No comments: