Thursday, March 22, 2007

conversations that make you go hmm....

I had a rather interesting discussion with a jamaa (non-Kenyan) and his way of thinking is beginning to amuse or so not amuse me. I sense the conservative type from a number of issues. I agree that men and women are different and physically the weaker sex (should I say some) and that some professions are better suited for one and not the other etc..but I asked if he would cook for his woman. He paused. He said he doesn’t entertain the idea of a couple ati dishing out days when they should cook, ati you cook today I cook kesho. He said he would rather take her to a restaurant every time rather than cook. Mind you its not that he can’t, what the heck is up with that?

Ok his refusal to cook for his mama aside, he mentioned that Kenyan men will just do anything for their women, cooking of course being one of them while they are dating and then turn around when they settle and demand payback. But overall he implied that women are trying to domesticate men by having them fill certain roles that are suited for women. I had to check my calendar at this point to remind myself what century we are in. I really didn’t know where to start on this philosophy. First I don’t know why people like to get hung up on such issues. I don’t even think a guy cooking for me is a big issue, I mean if you come home and feel like starting the process, well and good. If you can’t cook, well we can work around that in various ways, but for you to say in my face you won’t cook for me because you are the man…..aiii let me stop there before some not so nice words come out. I had issues with most households in general growing up (mine included) because men just did not enter the kitchen for any reason. But in retrospect, there was little motivation since the house girl was always there. But in the State’s with no housi and I find my the man sitting on the couch reading a newspaper waiting for me to cook…I will scream!

This discussion was never officially closed but I sense I will not be engaging in the sequel unless I find out this man was playing devil’s advocate or I get insanely curious to hear the rest of his intransigent ideas.

2 comments:

Miss DeeGee said...

Alas, your friend is a danda....and you can tell him, I said it...na sisemi kwa ubaya, ninasema kwa uzuri and I say it again, you have to be a danda to subscribe to his school of thought!

shiz said...

lol Dorothy, I haven't heard that word in a while but yeah danda he is! I never followed up, could use that energy elsewhere.