Friday, March 16, 2007

the evening part I

I went out last night and had the most fabulous time! I have to write this before it gets all crumpled up in my mind. So the evening started slow. I went to get my hair done, for no special reason except that it needed to be done. This was quite the ordeal, it took me 2 and half hours just to have it washed and set in rollers! I was somewhat in a good mood. I think it helped that I was reading a book and not just any other but Iyanla Vanzant’s “In the meantime” so that helped me forget that I had made an APPOINTMENT. Clearly that word ignored, I left there late for my jazz debut in the city. I had read about this smooth jazz place that opened up recently and was determined to check it out at 7 p.m. Well, the salon experience ended around 8 and I was wondering whether to get a bite to eat or jazz it up. I decided to do the latter so I found parking relatively close to the place.

I have made this resolution that if I want to go someplace that no one else has time for, I will be brave and check it out myself. Now this city is not designed for loners and a place full of people doesn’t usually guarantee a good social time.

I walked through the door, past the curtains that revealed a nice ambiance, well-done space, dim-lighting and people sitting at the bar talking. My immediate reaction was to cut and run. But then that would not be professional so I went to the next best thing, pretended to be on the phone and started looking through my phone to kill my nerves. Just as I was starting to feel very dumb, this gentleman, probably the owner came up to me and asked if I wanted to be sited and if I was alone. Of course I mumbled that my friends could not make it but he was nice and said he would sit me at the end of the bar close to the band.

Turns out there was a guy standing at the end of the bar having a conversation with the lady who was occupying the seat at the end of the bar. I ended up breaking them up since that was the only place for the seat. The guy was all suit and tie and the lady was there with female company and had just been making conversation with the dude. So I guess I had to make convo with this guy, he was good-looking and so perfectly dressed.... I started to feel awkward. This is a place for mostly 30-40 somethings. Mature and everyone obviously dressed up from work or other and here I was in my jeans, my top was a nice formal-cut and I had chandelier earrings that rocked. Thank God for my newly done hair, I hope it distracted from the nervousness. The guy introduced himself and I learned he is well-traveled, well-spoken, has great career. I also introduced myself and thank God the band came up and started playing. We had on and off conversation while the band played and it was great, I got a lot more comfortable, we talked about the cities we’ve been to, about what we like to do in the city, turns out he just moved here not to long ago. He was very humble about his being and that was nice.

To say the jazz was awesome is an understatement. They played Robin Thicke’s “Lost without you” and my heart melted; I knew I was in the right place. Every piece was a good as the one before if not better. He then offered to get me a glass of wine; I declined as it was going on 10 p.m. I reminded myself that I needed to get a bite to eat and was still driving myself home. I excused myself to leave and the gentleman pulled out his card and said he would love to get together again. Where are those darn business cards when you need them? He asked if he could walk me to my car and I informed him I was ok, my car was parked close. By this time my cut and run mode was kicking in again, I said my goodbyes, thanked the owner, got some more info on the band and tried not to run out of there.

What I didn’t know was that the night had just begun on a good note! This post it getting long and believe it or not there is more to this night yet to be put down on paper or screen.

3 comments:

Princess said...

Don't leave us hanging!!! I'm eagerly awaiting the continuation of this post!!

Wambui said...

Gal!!! Dang!! Dont leave us hanging like that!!!!

shiz said...

I knew someone would try kill me for this..its coming girls!